This privacy notice is for the use of parents/carers and pupils of The Jane Lane School in fulfilment of our
responsibility as a data controller under data protection law. One of our duties under the regulations relates to being open and transparent and as part of this our
Privacy Notice is designed to inform you about the way in which we use, collect, store and/or share your information.
There may be times when the privacy notice will need to be updated or amended. The Jane Lane School will display the most current notice in the Reception area. We will annually provide you with the latest version, usually at the beginning of the academic year.
Personal data means data which relates to a living individual who can be identified. The individual (known as the Data Subject) must be identifiable from the information, if the information is fully anonymised it is no longer classed as personal information.
Why do we collect and use personal information?
Without the information we collect and require or share, The Jane Lane School would not be able to
provide you with the services or support for which we have contractual and legal obligations to deliver.
In particular, we will use information about you to:
- ensure the safety and wellbeing of those using and visiting our premises
- provide education
- provide additional support where appropriate and necessary ( e.g.1:1 teaching)
- the prevention and/or detection of crime
- to keep parents informed
- to plan and develop appropriate educational activities and visits
Information we collect and use
- personal information including a pupil’s name, date of birth, unique pupil number and home
- characteristics such as ethnicity, language, country of birth and free school meal eligibility
- attendance information such as sessions attended, number of absences and absence reasons
- educational records including records of work, assessment information, relevant medical information (special category data – please see below)
- contact information for parents, carers and other relatives, including contact numbers, home and e-mail addresses
- information about a child’s home life, where required as part of necessary safeguarding and welfare processes
- other agencies involved in the care of our pupils
- safeguarding records
How we collect information
We will collect the information in several ways but not limited to:
- contact sheets
- directly from parents/carers
- by letter, text or email
- from agencies working with families/pupils
- school nurse
- local authorities/councils
Purpose for processing and lawful basis
The lawful basis under which we process your information and the linked reason for processing is:
- when processing your information it is necessary to cooperate with and conform to UK law or
another legal obligation to which the school is subject
- The purpose of processing is to carry out a task in the public interest or the exercise of official
authority vested in the controller
Personal information collected via online
For reference the following information is collected by Walsall Council.
Our policy is to respect and protect the privacy of anyone who visits our website. Where we ask you for personal information via an online form, this information will only be used for the purpose indicated and will be held in a secure manner. It will not be used for any other purpose without your permission and will not be kept for longer than necessary. If you are concerned about providing your personal information online please contact us and we will arrange alternative means for you to provide this information.
Use of IP addresses and cookies
For reference the following IP addresses and cookies are used by Walsall Council. We collect IP addresses only for the purposes of system administration and to audit the use
of our site. We do not link IP addresses to anything personally identifiable, which means that while your user session will be logged you will remain anonymous to us.
For reference external links used by WMBC
This site contains links to other sites. Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these sites nor do we endorse any
externally linked sites.
This site has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information under our control.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement or data protection issues generally, you can contact Mrs Christine Fraser, Head Teacher, Jane Lane School, Churchill Road, Walsall, WS2 0JH. Measuring website usage (Google Analytics). We use Google Analytics to collect information about how people use this site. We do this to
make sure it’s meeting its users’ needs and to understand how we could do it better.
Google Analytics stores information about what pages you visit, how long you are on the site, how you got here and what you click on. We do not collect or store your personal
information (e.g. your name or address) so this information cannot be used to identify who you are.
The following cookies are set by Google Analytics and are classed as ‘persistent’ as they are stored for a considerable time on your computer, but they only track your visits to
walsall.gov.uk and not any other sites you visit before or after:
||Tracks number of visits to the site and times of first and last visits
||Timestamps entry to a site
||Timestamps exit from a site
||Stores information on how the site was reached (e.g. direct or via a link, organic
search or paid search)
||Identifies unique users
||Throttles the request rate
For more information about Google Analytics, visit Google Analytics.